The Walker Cabin on the Creek
"The Cabin-on-the-Creek" was built in 1938 and 1939 by Jean and John Walker for use as a counselor training facility for a nearby girls' camp, on land acquired from the Holston Conference of the Methodist Church. It is located on a large lot which is bordered on two sides by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It has a large screened-in side porch which overlooks LeConte Creek, a rushing and gurgling stream which begins at the top of Mt. LeConte and which marks the boundary with the Park. The sounds of the creek make it seem as if it is raining all night.
In the 1950s five upstairs bedrooms and an enclosed dining room were added and
in the 1980s an apartment was added; a caretaker lives there now. The kitchen
features two stoves and two refrigerators and was designed by a home economics
teacher. Construction is entirely of beautifully grained wood. There is a large
grassy side yard occasionally visited by deer and bears. The Cabin is only a mile
from downtown Gatlinburg but it is an oasis of peace and tranquility. The Cabin
is easily accessible by car, even in winter, and very difficult to leave.
See Testimonials from our Visitors' Log.